Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Summer Reading

I was responding to saur on Sweet N' Saur about books. After writing a lengthy reply I decided to ask you: my few readers what books do you read?

This is my list of favorites:
Robert B Parker's Spenser and Jesse Stone Books.

Dennis Lehane's books. A Drink Before the War was his first and very Spenser like. Mystic River was a big hit. Shutter Island blew my wife away - now she is hooked on him. Can't go wrong with any of his stuff.

I've read all of the Michael Connelly books. The Harry Bosh ones are my favorites. The Poet was pretty good.

The writer I try (and fail) to model my stuff after: Carl Hiaasen. If you haven't read him I'd suggest picking up his early stuff in paperback. He is a very pro-florida, anti tourist and anti development guy.

Nelson DeMille - especially the John Corey books. Gold Coast was solid.

I recently discovered John Sandford and his "prey" series. I've read most of them.

Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston was pretty good. It has a Crichton feel. Preston also writes with Lincoln Child - those books are good reads but really creepy.

The past 6 months I started reading a lot of Florida Authors:

Jeff Lindsay (Dexter Series) the "hero" is a serial killer that kills other serial killers. The books are so twisted they are funny. Or maybe I need help.

Bob Morris - He has two: Bahamarama and Jamaica me Dead - they were OK.

James O. Born - Is a real FDLE cop. I read Escape Clause first and picked up his others.

I just bought two books by Sarasota writer: Wayne Barcomb but I haven't read them.

What are you reading?

11 Comments:

Blogger michelle said...

What am I reading? Does this count: The Fox Went Out On A Chilly Night, Have You Seen My Ducklings?, Herman The Helper, Five Little Monkey's Sitting In A Treet, The Readers Digest, AND Your blog.

Fri May 26, 04:43:00 PM  
Blogger D-Dub said...

thanks for reading Michelle!

I'm also reading Goodnight Gorilla and Where's Spot?

Tue May 30, 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger Hairwoman said...

I just finished Pendragon, Walk Two Moons and A Wrinkle in Time(second reading), and just started Dune(third reading), How to Read Literature Like a Professor (second reading), and Eragon.

Tue May 30, 01:40:00 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

I am getting read to read two books.

1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12

Surviving Your Adolescents : How to Manage-and Let Go of-Your 13-18 Year Olds

The adolescent is my stepson. My 6 year old is starting to react to my 13 year old stepson. Both kids are in for a rude awakining. (That or I am.)

Tue May 30, 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond. As you know, it's been chaos at Saur Central. But I've been reading Memorial Day by Vince Flynn and you REALLY need to get it.

Tue May 30, 04:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

reading? who has time to read? its summer, the kids are home and the only thing i have time to read is my email. oh and this blog. By the way bruce, where is spot? have you found him?

Thu Jun 01, 08:53:00 AM  
Blogger D-Dub said...

Spot is in the basket.

Fri Jun 02, 09:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bruce, I just came across your blog, wherein you mention that you just bought two books by "Florida writer, Wayne Barcomb but haven't read them yet." I will look forward to your comments on my 2 latest books, set in Sarasota, Blood Tide and Udercurrent. Wayne Barcomb

Sat Jun 03, 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger D-Dub said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Mon Jun 05, 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger D-Dub said...

Mr. Barcomb,

I just picked Blood Tide up. The author I was reading didn't post on my blog... so he can wait until after I've read your books.

Mon Jun 05, 12:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On my bedside table now:

The Book Thief (Markus Zusak), Pretty Birds (Scott Simon), Stranger than Fiction (Chuck Palahniuk), Freakonomics (Levitt & Dubner) and Your Word Speaks to Me: Scripture Meditations for Daily Living (George Martin).

In the glove box: The Liar's Club: A Memoir (Mary Karr).

Wed Jun 28, 02:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home